Tuesday, June 8, 2010

:: Alive in Atlanta ::

boxes boxes and more boxes. we finally have all of the boxes unpacked and our house 98% put together. Normally I would have had everything done faster but with this move I have had no desire to kill myself over getting it all set up. Brady thought it was pretty funny that he was the one motivating me to get it done. Under normal circumstances our kitchen would have been the first room set up and organized but that was not the case at all. I started there but was very easily discouraged by the odd shaped cabinets and pantry. I didn't have the patients to figure out where I wanted everything to go. So we were eating whatever we could find in an open box all last week. At last on Sunday I found my motivation to finish the kitchen and today we went to the store and we actually have food so I can make a real dinner. It felt nice to cook meat tonight.
Last week we made an Ikea trip which = a lot of building for Brady. He was such a trooper and did a great job at putting together all of our new furniture. He also decided that we are never taking any of it apart again. It takes WAY too long to put together.
This is how happy we were that everything made it here and that nothing was broken along the 2000 mile journey. Our book cases got a few scratches but nothing to worry over. Thanks again to all who helped with the loading and unloading of our truck.
Also thank you Pappy for making the long trip across the country with Brady. We are very thankful to have had your help and all of your hard work. I am most grateful that I didn't have to make that long drive with ya'll. The flights were plenty long for my back.
You cant see Brady because he was back behind the dryer hooking it up. These two were sure good troopers. When I got here on Monday they were dead after 3 days of driving and I was ready to unpack. Mind you that was the only day I had that kind of motivation.
Our washer and dryer are a very tight squeeze but Brady made it work. We had to take off the doors because the closet is not deep enough for them but we got some nice drapes to hide them.
Brady was so happy to be on the last piece of furniture to build. We have had our crib since December and just not unboxed it and come to find out that was a bad idea. One of the ends is cracked and it has been past 90 days so JC Penny is not helping us get it fixed. We are still unsure what we are going to do about it. It makes me sad but I am sure we will figure something out with it. Now we just need to buy the mattress so we can put his cute bedding in it. I am excited to see my master piece all up and in his crib.
Yesterday we decided to leave the house and have some fun. Brady picked the Body's exhibit to go do downtown. We had wanted to go to this when it was in SLC last year and never made it. So it was nice that we had the chance to go here. It was very interesting leaning how the body is all put together and it was fun hearing Brady explain thing in even more detail. It was a good refresher for Brady and his anatomy. I remember when Brady and I were dating he impressed me with all of his anatomy jargon and I thought "wow this guy is super smart and has it together".
Don't mind our outfits. Yes we know we match. Well we didn't realise until we were walking out the door and we didn't care enough to go and change. The lady at the bookstore made fun of us for it.
Ummm... yeah we thought this was a funny fact. We thought it was common knowledge that birth and labor went hand in hand but I guess not.
{Stone Mountain}

Last night Brady and I decided to head to the great outdoors at Stone Mountain. It is a private park. It felt nice to be outside in the woods surrounded by all of the tall green trees and fresh air.
Brady was just enjoying his camping chair as we relaxed and talked while the sun began to set and we prepared for the laser light show. I think we picked a perfect time to head out to the show because it was a pretty cool night and not too many bugs. I HATE bugs and would be OK without them flying in my face and crawling on my body - ewww!
In case you have no clue what Stone Mountain is here you go (and don't feel bad we didn't know what it was either - I had only heard of it). It is this HUGE flat stone or "mountain" that has this carving of the civil war soldiers on it. The best way to describe it is think of the largest bolder you have ever seen and times that by about 500 and that is what this rock looks like. Flat on all sides and very few trees on the top. I am sure rock climbers love to come here.

We were so excited the show was about to start!

We were not sure what to expect with this laser light show but it was oh so fun! We learned a lot about Georgia and its history while singing and dancing to the music. Ryker must have enjoyed it also because he was wiggling like crazy the entire time. There are tons of hiking trails that will be fun to explore once this little guy is here and I can walk longer without being winded.
We are starting to feel more comfortable and familiar already. Hey I even braved my fear and have driven 3 times! I know I know who would have thought me of all people would be nervous here. I think it must be my motherly instincts kicking in or something because I have shocked myself. It will be all good I am concurring my fears and will enjoy this fun city while we are here.
Church on Sunday was wonderful. We love our ward already. So many people came up to us and introduced them selves to us. I don't remember many names but that will come with time I am sure of it. It was also fun to finally meet Shannon and Erin who helped me so much over the phone with the move. I can already tell that we are going to be good friends and have many adventures together. There are a lot of young families in our ward and the moms do lots of park days and pool days that I am excited to join them on next week once Brady starts school. They have already informed me that these play dates are just as much if not more so for me than the kids.
Brady starts school on Thursday and have mixed emotions about this. It has been so much fun to have him all to myself for the past 3 weeks. I think this time together was needed before he starts school and before this little Ryker guy arrives.
We met our new doctor and he seems pretty nice. It has been very different to be the only white girl around. I am sure I will adjust to that quickly. The people here seem very nice and helpful. We were out for our nightly walk and it was raining and a gal stopped to see if we needed a ride. We said "no thank you" because the summer rains here are so nice to walk in. I am already a fan of them and looking forward to the storms that are supposed to hit us this weekend.

9 comments:

Blake and Annie Nielson said...

Ive been waiting for an update and it sounds like you guys are settling in nice. I'm glad everyone survived the traveling too. It sounds way fun out there and what a great adventure for you guys.

Matt and Brittany said...

i really can't beleive you guys are gone. this doesn't feel right
:(

Megan said...

awesome post! thanks for the update and way to go on the adventures. good luck brady w/ school! isn't the body world incredible? did seeing the fetuses make your pregnancy and ryker become even more real and amazing to you? lots of loves!

Bethany, Scott, and family said...

Welcome to the South!!! Glad you got here safe and that things are going well.

S & K said...

aw what a fun post! It sounds like everything is going great:)

Doreen said...

I've been WONDERING what you've been up to and how your move went! We may be dealing with boxes here soon too because we just entered a drawing for a bigger apartment in our apartment complex. I HOPE we get it, I need more space. But I'm not excited to pack and unpack! Glad you guys are already out and enjoying your new home!!

Amanda and Tom said...

I'm so glad you posted!! I need to know what you guys have been up to so thanks!! I'm glad you guys are doing awesome!!

Adamson Family said...

You made it! I love stone mountain. yu'll for sure want to hike it after the bay comes, it's a hike all up hill to the top but worth it. What ward are you in there? I think 98% is really an accomplishment.

Jaclyn said...

so glad you're safe and loving it, Lindsay! Can't wait to hear more about your adventures!