Mount Vernon - George Washington's plantation was my favorite place we went on our DC trip. It was fun to learn more about our first president. I had no idea that he was as wealthy as he was. His home was quite fancy with the size, paint colors {the brighter the colors the more expensive}, the molding, and the furniture. We could not take pictures while in the house but if you are ever in the area I totally recommend driving down. He and Marsha were quite the host one year they had more than 400 guest stay the night with them {I wish I could remember the exact number - thank you pregnancy brain}. Pretty crazy.
The kids all enjoyed petting the Donkey. He was one big guy!
George Washington's tomb.
He was truly a great man. He was very involved with all of his farms {he and Marsha had over 2,000 acres in 3 or 4 states}. His farm managers had to send him weekly reports on everything. It sounds like he was not only a great general, President, but also farmer. He even invented this big contraption to have his horses break the wheat out of its shells - the 8 sided barn.
All of the kids were SO good. It was a long, HOT day and they were troopers. They loved petting the sheep also.
Erin and I even managed to make it up this HUGE hill pushing a double stroller together - it was so big it almost killed both of us. Kinda funny the looks we got.
Erin and I were also fascinated that even back in the 1700's they found ways to dress materials up to make them look more expensive. The mansion behind us was built out of wood and they made it look like stone by covering the wood with sand and then painting it giving it the illusion of stone but for much less. Also another interesting side note the rooftops were all painted red.
Wills and Hannah were so funny. We could not get them to take any pictures with us all day then as we were walking to the car they said "mom take my picture in front of this ROCK" ha ha classic kids right?! We were all dying about this.
To top off a super fun day we got to stop at Cafe Rio and have dinner. We were all in heaven! Especially Brady. He LOVES Cafe Rio and I guess mom and I went over Christmas break last year without him and he has yet to let me forget.
Ryker had so much fun playing with Wills, Hannah, and Graham. He still is asking to play with them and missing them. We love and miss the Quinn family. Erin and I had so much fun staying up WAY too late talking and playing games. We would love to end up living close to these wonderful friends someday.

No comments:
Post a Comment