Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Crosswalks in Provo

For the past 8 months we have been living in what Brady likes to call cougar country. For all who don't go to BYU or have gone to BYU he means we live in the neighborhood that all married and single BYU students live in. Before living here I always hated driving through this area because students would just walk out in front of your car without even looking. It would scare me and drive me crazy. Just because you are in a crosswalk does not mean you don't have to use your eyes before stepping out into the road.
But now that I walk and roller blade these streets often I understand why most of them have to do this. Cars simply will not stop for you unless you do start to walk out in front of them. I do not understand why it is drivers around here don't stop but it drives me wild.
I will not roller blade around here any more for this reason. I have been crossing the street while on my blades and had 3 out of 4 lanes stopped for me to cross and then almost be plowed down by a 40 mph car. Yes I know it was frightening. Then a few days later I was in the biker lane blading and this HUGE Suburban comes flying by and I looked down and its tire was inches away from my foot. It is true Utah has the worst drivers ever! Therefor after these incidents I decided I rather enjoy being alive and not having broken bones.
Moral of the story if you are walking in this area be aggressive but smart and if your driving stop for the pedestrians in crosswalks!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I will be the first one to admit that we have some of the stupidest drivers in the universe. I remember all the days of crossing Harrison Blvd to get to school everyday. How can people be so stupid!!