Wednesday, July 20, 2016

{Visiting the Pugmier's :: Kentucky Style}

A few days after I got back from the wedding the kids and I headed up to Kentucky to visit Talise and the kids. We have missed them VERY much and Brady was going to be on High Adventure with the boys from church so we jumped in the car and headed North. 

We headed out to an old Shaker village with all 7 little crazies and 2 mama's. It was such a beautiful drive through horse country and I wish Brady would have been with us... mostly so I would not have been the one driving so I could check out all of the beautiful homes and pastures. 


 Did you know that the Shaker faith is almost extinct ... there are only 2 women left practicing. But I am not surprised. It was a very interesting faith to learn about. I am not really sure why anyone would want to have joined. If you were married and had a family once you joined the faith you would have become "brother and sister" not husband and wife anymore you would have lived a celibate life from then on and your children would become like just children you know and be sent off to live in a different house from you like a boarding school in the village. So crazy. I can't even imagine why anyone would want to give up their family like that. I guess it is so hard for me to understand because of my own beliefs on family. 

In the 1800's when this was an actual village they found bones from a mammoth and saber tooth tiger . The kids had a ball dressing up like archaeologist and digging and checking out the fossils. 


This baby could not wait for me to pick him up to see the animals he had to take matters into his own hands. 

The sweet farmer even picked up this 3 week old baby goat for us to pet. It was so sweet. And this is the craziest looking cow I have ever seen. The long hair and long horns.  


This sweet Ollie is like the animal whisper. He loves them all and has no fear. He did not want to leave these sheep alone. They were the strangest looking sheep. They are a show breed that is super tall. 



After we finished up inside the village we decided to go on a hike to a waterfall that the kids could play in. I am just going to start with this NOT being one of our most brilliant ideas. What we were told was a very easy hike and would not be a problem to do with our littles ended up a HUGE scary mess. Talise and I each had a baby strapped to our backs and we headed up. The trail was super narrow and pretty steep and was only tall weeds on all sides and a steep dirt mountain off the side.... well we were going and going and I had just put my cell phone in the backpack and Grayson being Grayson walked off the trail and I went to grab him and me, him and Ollie on my back went sliding down the mountain and there was nothing to grab onto to stop us or help us back up... Grayson was crying, Ollie was screaming and I was crying and laughing at the same time because I didn't know what to do or how to get us out of this mess. And poor Talise was just standing there unsure how to help because she had a baby on her also and we didn't need them falling down also. So I was able to push Grayson back up to the trail finally and scoot backwards up the mountain on my booty and we were all alive. We were so determined to find this silly waterfall that we kept going and we came across some EMT's and they asked where we were going and informed us that there was nothing further up the trail and that we had already passed the waterfall... thankfully they told us to turn around and head back. Good thing the kids were all troopers through it all. 

 Talise on the trail... yep why we thought this was a good idea I'm not sure... what you see is really all the trail was... on her left was the drop off mountain side. Grateful we all survived. 

 And here is the waterfall that we were trying to reach... the photos we had seen of friends playing here were way cooler... they had come a week that it had rained a LOT therefore there was a lot of water to play in.... when we went it was not so much the same. But the kids still enjoyed splashing and playing with sticks and rocks. 


 Strong kids!


 And they call this a 2 lane road winding down the mountain... All I can say is I am grateful we only had to pass a motorcycle otherwise I don't know what we would have done. 



No comments: