Saturday, January 8, 2011

:: A New Year to Remember ::

Brady, Ryker, and I arrived back in Atlanta after a month vacation in Utah. We had a wonderful trip with both families and came home to an unforgeable sight. I unlocked our front door and saw wood and wood shavings laying all over the floor. My first thought was "that is odd why would maintenance have been in here while we were gone?" then I looked up and noticed our TV was gone. My mind started racing. REALLY. REALLY we were robbed? How did this happen? Why did this happen to us? I drop all of the luggage that I was holding and start searching our house to see what was taken. I look at the clock and see the management office is still open and I run over there to see what I need to do. While I am in the office it really hits me what just happened. I start freaking out and crying. Why would someone do this to us? Luckily the girls in the office were really nice and walked me through what I needed to do. 

Step 1 - call 911 and have an officer come out. DUH! {I didn't even think of that on my own.}
Step 2 - call USAA and report it to our renters insurance
Step 3 - breath - it's only STUFF that was taken we are all safe and OK
Step 4 - call Mom

We learned that a few days after we headed out to Utah a few other units were broken into also. So some lame-o's made off with our TV, Laptop, XBox 360, Wii, games, 2 pairs of ice skates and my hockey bag. We feel very violated having some strangers in our house riffling through our things. Thank goodness our complex has been so great to work with. Now our door has a metal plate through the frame with 6" screws holding it in place. I would like to see you try and kick in our door now suckers! {OK not really, but the carpenter said they would have to take the entire door off for them to get in again} This makes me feel a LOT safer now. I am scared for when Brady goes back to school on Monday and Ryker and I will be on our own again. I hope I can feel safe in our home again. 

I am so glad that we have renters insurance and that they were very easy to work with through all of this. So if you don't have renters insurance you should get it. It has saved us! 

Let's hope the rest of this year has better fortune than this for us. 

Happy New Year! 

8 comments:

Whitney said...

Lindsay,
I'm so sorry!! That is so messed up!

Blake and Annie Nielson said...

Jeesh Lindsay. I can't imagine going home to that. How scary. Thats good they put extra hardware on your door though. Those punks aren't going to want to take their time taking down your door. But still be safe. So excited to see you guys soon.

Jessica said...

That is awful! I am so sorry!

Amanda and Tom said...

oh man that is crazy! That is so good that you have renters insurance tho! Some people are soo sick!

Nikki said...

Oh Lindsay! Boo! That is horrible. I am so sorry that happened. That is very stressful and scary. I love that you called your mom-Good move. Let us know how things go!

rabnerfamily said...

Oh I am so sorry! What a miserable thing to have happen. I am glad the insurance is working with you so well. good luck!

Jaclyn said...

oh Lindsay, this is just horrible! I'm so sorry this happened :(

Courtney B said...

Ah! No freaking way! Linds! Scary! Thank goodness you WEREN'T home when they broke in! Thank goodness it is JUST stuff they took. So sad though. And what a pain to replace. I can't believe there are people out there who have no problem taking what's not theirs and complicating others lives :(